Make Teeth Look And Feel Natural Again
At our office, the most frequently conducted procedure involves dental fillings. These fillings serve to repair and restore teeth while preventing the development of painful decay or infections that may necessitate more extensive treatments. To ensure aesthetic appeal, we utilize composite resin fillings that precisely match the colour of your natural tooth. Unlike traditional amalgam (metal) fillings, tooth-coloured composite resin forms a strong bond with the tooth and is highly effective in filling even the tiniest crevices, minimizing the need for extensive drilling.
Why Are Fillings So Important?
For many individuals, the idea of receiving a dental filling can feel burdensome. It’s common to postpone or question the necessity of getting a filling, especially if the affected tooth isn’t causing immediate discomfort. However, we highly advise you to promptly address your cavities by getting a filling, and here’s why:
- Halt the progression of cavities: By having your cavities filled, you can prevent them from growing larger and causing more significant dental issues.
- Prevent painful infections or abscesses: Untreated cavities can lead to infections or abscesses, which can cause severe pain and require more invasive treatments.
- Restore tooth strength and durability: Cavities weaken your teeth. Fillings effectively restore their strength and durability, ensuring proper functionality.
- Long-term cost savings: By addressing cavities early on with fillings, you can avoid more extensive and expensive dental procedures in the future.
- Reduce sensitivity: Cavities often result in tooth sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures. Fillings help alleviate this discomfort, enhancing your overall dental experience.
- Preserve your natural smile: Getting fillings promptly helps preserve your natural teeth, allowing you to maintain a healthy and attractive smile for as long as possible.
In summary, while the idea of getting a filling may not be appealing, it is crucial to prioritize your dental health by promptly addressing cavities to prevent further complications, maintain tooth strength, and save on potential future expenses.
How is a cavity filled?
Before we begin, we will take the time to carefully numb your gums so we can gently freeze the area. People often feel anxious about this step. Freezing will numb your teeth and surrounding area so you barely feel a thing during the procedure.
Filling the Tooth
After we confirm that you’re comfortably frozen, your tooth is carefully cleaned and prepped. An adhesive gel is placed on the affected tooth over which a composite resin (white filling material) will be moulded and sculpted to match your contours or bite.
Curing the Composite
The composite resin material used to fill or bond your tooth is quickly cured and hardened with a special LED light. The doctor will carefully examine your finished tooth and make any required finishing touches before giving it a final polish.
The Cost Of A Filling In Oakville
Fillings are so routine and such a great way to prevent and avoid dental problems that most insurance companies will provide significant coverage for them. With a typical insurance plan you could expect to pay anywhere from $0 to $100+. If you are without dental insurance, you can expect to pay anywhere from $180 to $350 and up, especially if you require multiple fillings at once.
When we determine the actual cost of your treatment we refer to a few important factors:
- Your current oral health.
- How many fillings you need.
- Where the cavity is located in your mouth.
- Whether or not any new x-rays are required.
- The amount of time required by the dental team to meet your specific needs.
- The equipment and supplies that will be needed to serve all your needs.
Filling cavities promptly is very important to us, as fillings are so effective at preventing more invasive treatments, preventing serious dental pain and keeping you as happy and healthy as possible.
Contact us today
to schedule an initial consultation & exam.
Your consultation will include an examination of everything from your teeth, gums and soft tissues to the shape and condition of your bite. Generally, we want to see how your whole mouth looks and functions. Before we plan your treatment we want to know everything about the health and aesthetic of your smile, and, most importantly, what you want to achieve so we can help you get there.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sara M Amin
I had a great experience at Oakville Smiles. The entire team went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable and ease my anxiety. They respected my appointment times and addressed my concerns with the utmost care. I am so happy with my new fillings!
I was very apprehensive when I went for my first appt with Oakville Smiles, having only ever seen Dr. Brabant at the same office since living in Canada over 22 yrs ago. I needn't have worried as Dr. Nancy Fahmy and her team immediately alleviated any concerns I may have had. Let's be honest no one actually looks forward to visiting the dentist. However, with such a professional and, most importantly, caring and friendly team, don't hesitate, as I cannot recommend them highly enough.
I've always had a great experience at Oakville smiles family dentistry. The staff is all very welcoming and professional, and they've really helped ease any dental fears I've had in the past!